Who makes the best kitchen knives? There are a lot of knives from various parts of the world, and each country would probably claim theirs is the best. However, not many have come close to the name and standing of kitchen knives from Germany. Without a doubt, in the worldwide cutlery scene, Japanese knives and German knives are two of the most sought-after ones. Any chef will confirm their exceptional features both for aesthetics, durability as well as function. The best German knives are a good addition to the kitchen; it doesn’t matter if you are searching for a workhorse or precision.
- 1 Our Review of the Best German Knives for 2022
- 2 Best Overall German Knives: ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Professional S 7-Piece Knife Set With Block
- 3 Best German Kitchen Knives for the Money: Wüsthof Classic Ikon 7-Piece Knife Set With Block
- 4 Best Cheap German Knives: Messermeister Meridian Elite 3-Piece Starter Set
- 5 Best German Kitchen Knives for Gift: Messermeister Oliva Elite Starter Set
- 6 What Features to Look for in the Best German Knives for 2022?
- 7 Conclusion
Our Review of the Best German Knives for 2022
We have wide experience with the best German knives during our years in a professional kitchen, and I am thrilled and excited to share with you some of the best German knives available out there for 2022. So, let’s get started!
Best Overall German Knives: ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Professional S 7-Piece Knife Set With Block
State of the art Zwilling J.A Henckel’s is a professional S series of German knives crowning accomplishment and success in the world of cutlery. As an outcome of more than 28 decades of manufacturing experience as well as development, this German knife is preferred by professional chefs, including Gordon Ramsey. Composed of a 7-piece set, you will be ready to handle any kitchen job- without spending a lot of money to get your kitchen knives in order.
One of the main reasons why it is a preferred German kitchen knife by many chefs is the proprietary steel formula utilized in the making of these kitchen utensils. They are very sharp, will not chip or stain, and most of all, they will keep their sharpness longer compared to other types of knives available out there.
Part of the secret to the amazing performance of the Professional S Series is that they’re ice-hardened with the application of the company’s industry secret procedure. This provides these knives with a precise and refined blade or edge that is tougher and more durable than those Japanese-style knives.
Add equally inspiring and striking edge retention to which formula, and you will spend a lot of time utilizing your kitchen knives, and you need less time to sharpen them. The company was the first adopter of the complete bolster handle type, providing these kitchen knives with impeccable and perfect balance. Also, it serves as a finger-guard, avoiding aching and painful slips ups from turning into scrapes and cuts.
This set of German knives come with a prep knife, paring knife, honing rod, kitchen shears, and a bread knife, which covers all the culinary basis. I am a big fanatic of the structure of the bamboo block because it comes with additional knife slots for specialty blades you would want to include in your kitchen utensils.
In general, there are no German knives I would rather have for my kitchen arsenal, whether professionally or at home. The state-of-the-art Zwilling Professional S Series German Knives really live up to their reputation and deserve to become a staple tool in any kitchen.
- This German knife is perfectly balanced so that you can use it with ease and comfort without stress on your hand.
- This comes with top notch edge retention.
- High quality and professional German kitchen knives ever made
- High-quality-grade materials that make cleaning and storing so easy.
- Despite the many benefits, it also comes with drawbacks, such as full bolster making it hard to sharpen at home. A professional must look into it to obtain the sharpness you deserve.
- 4" Paring Knife; 5. 5" Fine Edge Prep Knife; 8" Bread Knife: 8" Chef's Knife; Kitchen Shears 9" Sharpening Steel; Storage Block
- Manufactured in Germany
- Special formula high carbon NO STAIN steel
- SIGMAFORGE knife is forged from a single piece of solid steel
- Ice-hardened FRIODUR blade starts sharper stays sharper longer and has superior resilience
Best German Kitchen Knives for the Money: Wüsthof Classic Ikon 7-Piece Knife Set With Block
Edge retention and sharpness are the vital factors to consider when it comes to German kitchen knives that are best for the money. It is safe to say that state of the art Wüsthof’s Classic IKON series of knives win this game. Utilizing a proprietary technique known as PEtec or Precision Edge Technology, the company is able to produce blades that are 20 percent sharper compared to other standard German kitchen knives, which last twice as long between sharpening.
This high-carbon stainless steel knife has the perfect balance. This makes this series of knives feel almost weightless- an absolute joy to utilize, which assists them in looking forward to the preparation time of the meal.
When it comes to bolsters, the company seeks to have the best. By integrating a half-bolster at the edge, you are able to acquire the double perk of scrape and cut protection and be capable of utilizing the full length of this knife or blade. The full heel bolster offers the final touch which complements the natural balance of full-tang construction.
With Wüsthof’s Classic IKON series of knives, you will have a complete selection of German kitchen knives for the kitchen: A professional chef’s knife, utility knife, paring knife, kitchen shears, and bread knife, as well as honing steel. This covers almost each kitchen work. However, the woodblock made of acacia has additional slots for specialty knives you may need to include in your kitchen utensils collection.
For a low price, many users love and appreciate the attention to every detail in the looks of these German kitchen knives, a vital point that people recently checked and examined more extensively in this review. The contoured handles provide them both an at ease fit as well as modern touch, and the looks are excellent due to the integration of the acacia wood block. As a whole, these German kitchen knives both feel and look like a noticeable improvement over other German kitchen knives being sold in today’s market.
- This knife has extra sharp and comes with double the edge retention.
- The half bolster style secures your fingers and hand and, at the same time, enables full blade application.
- This is available in an aesthetically pleasing style, so it will surely complement the interior of your kitchen.
- This is pricier compared to many seven-piece German kitchen knives available on the market today.
- 8" Chef Knife can be Engraved in up to 3 Locations (Left Face, Right Face, and Bolster)
- Brushed Stainless Steel Faceplate for Block can have 2 Lines of text. Buyer will affix using 3M adhesive backing.
- Knives Made in Germany
- Engraving is Diamond Etching performed in-House by a Authorized Wusthof Retailer
- Product is the new 2020 Logo and Box Design - Wusthof Item #1090370706
Best Cheap German Knives: Messermeister Meridian Elite 3-Piece Starter Set
If you are searching for minimalist German kitchen knives, Messermeister Meridian Elite 3-Piece Starter Set is worth considering. This is one of the best German knives available out there. It does away with the size of a knife block as well as a situationally-specific knife to concentrate on the essentials. A slicer, chef’s knife, as well a paring knife, you got it all.
Trading down to more reserved selections of German kitchen knives also signifies that you are able to invest in a hand-finished tool without spending a lot of your hard-earned money. This is where the Messermeister Meridian Elite 3-Piece Starter Set stands out because they are hand-finishes to make the sharpest edge of the blade possible.
The single-piece, hammer-forged style of these German kitchen knives provides them with a commendable and venerable mixture of balance and durability. Mixed with 3-rivets as well as a full-open tang, they are also comfortable and easy to use and will not cause pressure on your wrists and hands.
Contrary to a lot of German knives available out there, state-of-the-art Messermeister’s Meridian Elite series forgoes the application of bolsters. While this gets rid of a layer for security from cuts and slips, it enables skilled and experienced chefs to utilize the whole length of the edge blade in making smooth, long cuts. And if you are comfortable with honing the blades, insufficient bolster makes the Messermeister’s Meridian Elite series much simpler and stress-free to sharpen.
In general, this German knife set is a perfect option for somebody who is already at ease and contented with their skills in the knife and wishes to pare down for an effective application of kitchen space. They are every bit as superior as the other German kitchen knives available or features in this article and will surely last for many years of use.
- Great combination of affordability and performance among German kitchen knives in the market.
- This is made of superior and high quality material, so it will last for many years of use.
- Because it doesn’t come with a bolster, it only means that you are able to utilize the full blade for making slices and cuts.
- Provides them a commendable and venerable mixture of balance and durability.
- Less application than a seven-piece set
- The fact that it lacks a bolster only means that it can result in small cuts and knicks.
- The German 1.4116 high-carbon, stainless alloy blade resists stains and corrosion, exhibits toughness and durability, holds its edge retention, and is easy to re-sharpen to a razor-like edge.
- This knife line is one-piece, hot-drop hammer forged, which produces the strongest blade from heel to tip. The blades are heat treated and cooled to achieve a Rockwell of 57-58.
- The three-step, 15 degree “Elite” edge is hand stropped on a cloth wheel, creating the sharpest possible cutting surface on an edged tool.
- The bolsterless heel simplifies all cutting, sharpening & honing tasks, making use of the entire blade from heel to tip.
- The Knife for Life guarantee provides a lifetime warranty against material and manufacturing defects.
Best German Kitchen Knives for Gift: Messermeister Oliva Elite Starter Set
Even if the company has been in the market for four decades, Messermeister ties extend further way back to the 1800s in Germany. This is a California-based company that produces its knives out of Germany, which follows conventional German manufacturing methods and works to keep the country’s knifemaking legacy alive via their products.
This modern Messermeister Oliva Elite Starter Set is indeed the best choice if you are searching for superior and high quality kitchen knives but do not want to commit to a full kitchen set. Or you may be a promising chef in cramped cooking spaces who wants superior basic kitchen knives without the clutter. This stunning-looking kitchen knife set will cover your needs in your kitchen.
However, in spite of the many perks, it also comes with some flaws, like the handle need to be regularly oiled; you might not think of an unenthusiastic point if you enjoy how the knife looks with the wood material. It is an advantage as it’s one additional step in the care and maintenance of other lines stated in this guide.
- This German kitchen knife is ideal for minimalist as well as starter kitchens.
- The handle is made of high quality handles for a traditional and rustic look.
- It is available with ergonomic handles.
- Full tang and a perfect balance in German kitchen knives
- You’ll need to give a secure storage area to keep it safe and sound from rusting.
- The natural wood handle required to be regularly oiled
- One-piece, fully forged
- Hand-polished 15° "Elite" edge
- Bolsterless edge
- Cambered chef's knife blade
- 100% Handcrafted in Solingen, Germany
What Features to Look for in the Best German Knives for 2022?
Slicing briskets aren’t as simple as it looks. It needs a precise and sturdy knife. Meat is very fibrous so you must cook it for hours and slowly. On the other hand, it ends with a softer inside, and rough slicing will harm it. Provided that superior brisket is costly and must be presented in a neat and perfect way, it is highly suggested that you purchase a professional knife to efficiently and effectively do the task.
Knives from Germany are made of high quality stainless steel material that enables the companies or producers to style the most excellent knife for kitchen applications. If you are in the market for German knives, here are the factors that you need to consider.
Kind of Blade
There are many kinds of blades one must consider to get the right kitchen knife. Some of the most popular ones are as follows: serrated blades, Granton blades, straight blades, and scalloped blades. Each type of blade has its features and properties and, as a result, is ideal for varied purposes.
- Straight blades: A lot of kitchen knives come with straight edges/blades and feature an even and straight edge that doesn’t have serrations or indentation. This blade is among the most multipurpose among the many forms of blades. They are able to do a superb cutting task of slicing brisket when they are sharp. Or else, you’ll struggle beginning cuts as well as getting in briskets, boosting the chance of making untidy,
- Serrated blades: You utilize serrated blades mainly and largely for tearing. While this makes it superb for bread crusts and tough meats, they aren’t suggested for application on briskets as it doesn’t offer finesse. Thus, it will rip in brisket, resulting in jagged and not smooth brisket slices and torn fibers.
- Scalloped blades: This kind of blade has a hollow edge thanks to its vertical indentation that is evenly spaced. Thus, it combines the best of both serrated and straight blades. It is simpler to begin cuts and get in the brisket with a bit of tearing fibers. On the other hand, you have to be extra careful with utilizing a scalloped blade on a tender brisket.
- Granton Edge: This kind of blade is ideal for a kitchen knife. This blade is originally a brand or trade name of knives produced by Granton Knife Company from the United States. Sooner or later, other manufacturers copied this style, personalizing it to their models. This type of blade comes with tiny dimples or indents; however, it still manages to keep a straight blade. It enables clean and precise thin slices with no issue or struggles for cutting or pushing in the brisket.
The most reliable German knives for slicing brisket are pointed as possible. It’s the only way you are able to cut in brisket uniformly and smoothly. While many kitchen knives can come from the packaged sharpened, not all do, and also have to sharpen them from time to time to keep and sustain the sharpness. A dull knife has three drawbacks such as:
- This knife will not cut the brisket.
- This will shred or smash the crust/bark that spoils the cuts
- Can squeeze out the moisture of the brisket, which affects its superiority and quality.
There are many things to think of under the weight of a brisket knife; however, it often boils down to personal choice. A heavy kitchen knife might be preferable because it offers stability. Also, it is simpler to utilize for slicing since it has more force. However, a lightweight knife comes with free flow and is perhaps more valuable if slicing in many briskets.
Ask any chef, and he will suggest utilizing a long blade for kitchen application, ideally fourteen to sixteen inches. Brisket size will figure out how long the blade must be. The objective of slicing brisket is to have equal and precise cuts. A knife with a long blade enables you to obtain this as you are able to make many passes while the knife is in a similar groove. This factor lessens the possibilities of tearing, off-center, or uneven cuts.
When it comes to handling, the length must be adequately long to suit your whole hand to enable good grip as well as amazing comfort.
The perk of utilizing German kitchen knives is that you are able to take pleasure in the superiority of German stainless steel. In general, kitchen knives utilize high-carbon stainless steel, which provides them toughness, durability, sturdiness, and the capability to keep the sharp edge. Also, they have superb resistance to stains and corrosions.
The material in which the handle of your kitchen knife is made of can affects its comfort, visual appeal, security, as well as safety to use while slicing meat or brisket. There are a lot of kinds of materials utilized on German kitchen knives with varied properties. Below are three of the materials used usually in the making of the kitchen knife handle.
- Wood: This is a popular material as of it s many benefits. What makes this material apart from the rest is the aesthetics and comfortable feel. On the other hand, once a common application is waning, it can trap dirt and bacteria, and it doesn’t last for many years. If you are looking for its looks and comfort, you need to opt for a composite option like Pakkawood that is resistant to moisture and warp.
- Stainless Steel: This material has many positives, including being simple and straightforward to maintain and is very tough and durable. The only flaw is that it might become slippery when wet. However, you can wipe it dry. Also, it is superb in giving balance in the event you’re utilizing a long blade.
- Plastic: This material offers many benefits, such as being dishwasher safe and providing a slip-resistant handle or grip.
Safety and Comfort
Cutting brisket or vegetables safely and securely needs you to be at ease with your tool. It is why the knife’s handle must fit properly in your hand and, at the same time, offer a non-slip grip. Make sure the knife is adequately sharp to avoid the threat of slipping and be balanced. Weight is also a factor determining comfort, particularly if you’ll be cutting a large number of briskets.
Remember 3 things if you want to keep your German kitchen knife in excellent shape and condition:
- Hand Washing Always: A fine quality knife must never be run in the dishwasher because the harsh chemicals and high temperatures can harm their handles and blades. The hand always wash and dry the German knives promptly.
- Secure Storage: It is sad to tell that many kitchen knives have been snuffed off of commission as being kept in a drawer just to get chipped, bent, or scratched. The best, attractive and safest way to store your German knives is to use a knife block. You can also use magnetic knife holders or in-drawer storage systems.
- When to Sharpen the Knife: Understanding where to sharpen the knives is essential. Sharp knives are safe knives; therefore, keeping the knives in good condition will assist you in avoiding kitchen mishaps. If the knives have issues slicing cleanly in vegetables, it is the right time to sharpen them. Avoid sharpening your kitchen knives often because the blades have tendencies not to last as long.
If you are searching for the best German kitchen knives, you will never go wrong with the following brand:
These brands provide durable, sharp, and elegantly made German-style kitchen knives.
Wüsthof has been dedicated to conventional craftsmanship since launching in the year1814. The company utilizes a fantastic and impressive steel formula that is corrosion resistant as well as durable and tough. They take forty steps to come up with the best German kitchen knives.