Do you want to update your cutlery collection this 2022? If so, you cannot go wrong with adding a set of a steak knives to your knife block.
Every cook would agree that a dull knife is the worst enemy in the kitchen. After all, cutting meat in brute force can increase the risk of injury and lose flavorful juices while struggling to slice through.
In this post, you can discover the best steak knife on the market.
Our Top Steak Knife Reviews
Here are our top picks for steak knives that can dress up your table, make a memorable dining experience, add a sense of occasion, or make a fantastic gift for foodies.
Best Overall Steak Knife: Wusthof Classic Steak Knife 4-Piece Set
As many people say, “you get what you pay for.” These steak knives are worth the extra cash if you prioritize top-quality. The Wusthof Classic Steak Knife 4-Piece Set comes with 4.5” razor-sharp straight edge blades. So, they will cut through whatever you are eating like butter.
The blades are made from high-carbon stainless steel for greater durability. The blades also deliver outstanding sharpness for a precision cut. The straight edge blades are precision-forged. The high-carbon content makes the blades extremely strong while retaining their edge for longer than the average priced straight edge blades.
Unlike other steak knives from the list with elegant or eye-catching handles, the polypropylene handles of these knives are not everyone’s liking. However, they are highly durable. These handles have resistance to impact and heat, making the steak knife set an excellent choice.
The triple-riveted handles are another factor that sets the Wusthof classic steak knife set from the rest. They also completely cover the full tang of the blades. In return, you will get precise control and perfect balance of the blade, preventing discomfort or unevenness.
The steak knives are carefully and expertly crafted in Solingen, Germany, and covered by a limited lifetime warranty. With exceptional sharpness, traditional-style handles, and clean lines, these steak knives provide an extra bit of special home steak nights as you slice through the premium cuts without shredding or tearing.
- The Triple-riveted ergonomic handles ensure durability, balance, and comfort
- The razor-sharp straight blades slice through meat effortlessly without shredding or tearing
- The steak knives come with a high carbon content that delivers durability and strength
- The straight-edged bladed require sharpening to keep excellent results
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – 4 Piece Steak Knife Set with triple riveted synthetic polypropylene handles that resist fading, discoloration, heat and impact. recision Forged High-Carbon Stainless Steel
- RAZOR SHARP – High Carbon Stainless Steel Blades, precisely cut with the latest state of the art technology for incredible sharpness and easy maintenance. WÜSTHOF kitchen knives are Hand Wash Only
- WÜSTHOF STEAK KNIFE SET – Includes four 4 1/2" Steak Knives. WÜSTHOF Steak Knives have a straight clean edge that glide through beef like butter without shredding or damaging the meat
- DURABLE – WÜSTHOF Cutlery is crafted to resist corrosion and dulling. This German made Kitchen Knife set Comes with a limited Lifetime Warranty
- CENTURIES OF TRADITION – Family owned for seven generations, WÜSTHOF was founded in Solingen, Germany over 200 years ago. WÜSTHOF’s cutlery carries the Solingen name, a designation reserved for products that meet the strictest quality standards
Best Steak Knife for the Money: Dalstrong Omega Series 4-Piece Steak Knife Set
The Dalstrong Omega Series 4-Piece Steak Knife Set is suitable for those searching for steak knives with exceptional looks and performance. These steak knives are crafted to be enjoyable to use and aesthetically pleasing.
Each steak knife comes with a Damascus-style liquid metal pattern etched into the blade. The knives become exceptionally beautiful with increased cutting efficiency and reduced drag with this pattern.
These steak knives are made from high-quality American forged BD1N-VX hyper steel. Unlike other steak knives from our list made from stainless steel, these knives are crafted using hyper steel. During the forging process, the metal is added with nitrogen.
The extra nitrogen helps improve the steak knife’s toughness, flexibility, and hardness. Each steak knife is finished with vacuum heat treatment. Then, it is honed by means of the traditional three-step Honbazuke method to ensure an extremely sharp edge.
The handles are carbon fiber, and the blades are full-tang to make the steak knives more resistant to wear and tear. Each steak knife has its own black PU leather sheath, which helps prevent the edge from damage while protecting your fingers from cuts.
Overall, this Dalstrong steak knife set features all the precision, workmanship, and premium materials anyone can expect from the well-established manufacturer. Plus, it comes with a 100% money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the full set.
- The blades are made from high-quality hyper steel with full-tang construction to provide a long service life
- The liquid metal pattern etched into the blades make the knives visually appealing
- The blades are hand-ground using traditional Japanese sharpening methods to ensure lasting sharpness
- The extra nitrogen hardening makes the steel a bit brittle
- The Omega Series Knives are a precision made instrument. Ideal for briskets, roasts, ham, turkey, sides of salmon, and expertly suited for prepping large fruits and vegetables, slicing bread loaves and layer cakes, the screamingly sharp blade ensures ultra-thin, uniform slices in a single stroke. These Knives are a required addition for every pitmaster, chef, baker, home cook, & more.
- The “LiquidMetal” pattern on the blade reduces drag and increases efficiency, allowing you to glide through prep. Featuring ultra-premium American forged BD1N-VX hyper steel, the addition of Nitrogen increases hardness, flexibility, and toughness, while the blade's composition and added vacuum heat-treatment to 63HRC provide astonishing performance, with a screamingly sharp edge. Painstakingly finished to 8-12° per side by expert blade smiths using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method.
- The G10 woven fibreglass handle is near impervious to heat, cold and moisture and is presented in a midnight black with subtle dark red colorings. Centered in the full-tang handle is an ornate and over-sized copper and brass mosaic, creating a distinct and striking appearance. The painstakingly detailed craftsmanship continues with the Dalstrong lionhead insignia carefully engraved on both the mirror-polished end-cap and blade itself.
- A black PU leather sheath with button clip and distinctive red-stitching is also included to ensure the blades stylish protection and your own safety. Featuring all the precision, premium materials and workmanship you would expect from Dalstrong, only dialled up.
- See why thousands of professional chefs and home cooks love and trust the DALSTRONG DIFFERENCE. 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free, we know you'll love it!
Best Cheap Steak Knife: Amazon Basics 8-Piece Steak Knife Set
You can find fancier options on the market, but the Amazon Basics 8-Piece Steak Knife Set is an excellent choice for getting the job done without overstretching your pocket. This steak knife set is at a fraction of the price of the steak knives on the list, so it is suitable if you are on a limited budget.
The four and three-quarter-inch blades come with full tangs, ensuring that the steak knives will not fall apart on you quickly. The triple-riveted and ergonomic handles feel substantial. You can also balance well the handles in your hand to deliver a good cutting performance.
Since the edges are micro-serrated, you don’t have to worry about sharpening them. While the knives lightly cut through the steak, the fairly deep teeth may tear the meat slightly. On the bright side, the knives perform better than expected at this price point.
This Amazon steak knife set is designed to resemble the knives you can find at the local steakhouses. The knives also come with a full bolster, protecting your fingers against the blade. This feature also helps make these steak knives easier to hold and cut with.
The steak knife set may not be the best gift idea, but it is a fantastic budget choice if you and your loved ones enjoy eating steak together. These knives will make cutting through the premium cuts much easier and safer. What’s more, you can take advantage of the AmazonBasics one-year warranty.
- The full bolster prevents the fingers from getting cut while using the steak knife
- The sharp micro-serrated edges do not require sharpening and can cut meat easily
- The triple-riveted handles provide a sturdy feel and good durability
- The micro-serrated teeth occasionally tear the meat when cutting
- Kitchen steak knife for effortlessly cutting meat into smaller pieces at the table
- Includes 8 steak knives forged from a single piece of stainless steel
- Micro-serrated edge
- Full tang blade with triple-riveted handle for reliable strength and a pleasant weight and balance
- Full bolster helps keep fingers away from the blade
Best Steak Knife for Gifting: Messermeister Avanta Fine Edge Steak Knife Set
Are you searching for a steak knife set with the best appearance? Then, the Messermeister Avant Fine Edge Steak Knife Set is the perfect choice for your needs. The steak knives are easy on the eyes. They look more expensive than their affordable price tag.
The steak knives are made from premium-grade German steel X50CrMoV15, delivering durability, strength, and sharp edge retention. They are also easy to sharpen and maintain, making them an excellent addition to your cutlery collection, especially if you love eating steaks during family dinner.
The 5” fine edge blades enable the knives to cut through your steak easily. You can also use them on other tough cuts. Aside from excellent performance, these steak knives are also good-looking. The full metal tang exposed at the handle’s end reflects the knives’ high quality and style.
The forged bolster helps balance the blade so that you can feel comfortable while using the steak knife and protect your fingers from getting cut. The durable pakkawood handles add to the aesthetic look of the knife.
These knives are visually stunning combined with razor-sharp blades that do a great job holding their edge. So, it is undeniable that the steak knives are an excellent steal for the price. This steak knife set is a practical solution every time you want to treat yourself and your loved ones to a great steak night but does not want to spend a lot of money.
The steak knife set features a lifetime guarantee against material or manufacturing defects. Meanwhile, it could be better if the handles were a little smoother.
- The German X50CrMoV15 steel maintains the steak knife’s edge over time
- The visible full tang offers an optimum balance and makes the knife look more expensive than its affordable price tag
- The pakkawood handles are attractive to the eyes and durable, giving the knife a beautiful finish
- The handles could be a little smoother because they feel a little rough in the hand
- STEAK KNIFE SET - Avanta knives were developed for one of the leading culinary schools in North America. This set was designed with uncompromising attention to detail, featuring rounded, triple-rivet pakkawood handles for comfort and durability.
- BLADE WITH A PURPOSE - Smooth, fine edges are the most versatile for cutting. This edge can be used to cut, chop, slice & dice all firm and soft fruits, vegetables, meats and fish.
- HIGH QUALITY - Our blades are crafted from German X50 stainless steel for knives that are sharp, rust resistant, and easy to maintain. Plus, the solid bolsters and full tang construction give the knives great balance & heft.
- OUR STORY - Founded in 1981, Messermeister is a leading manufacturer of premium handcrafted kitchen cutlery. Today, we’re a family and women-owned company, continuing to bring innovation & creativity to kitchens around the world.
Features to Look for When Buying the Best Steak Knife
There are many reasons why you should get yourself high-quality steak knives. However, the challenge is to find which one suits your needs and budget. With so many great options on the market, you may see the selection process as a daunting task.
Don’t worry; the following features will help you decide which steak knife matches your unique requirements:
A dull steak knife will only ruin your expensive cuts as it will shred the meat and remove its flavorful juices. A high-quality steak knife comes with a sharp edge that slices through the steak. It ensures that you will enjoy the entire meal without exerting too much effort on cutting the meat.
Ease of Use
The knife’s sharpness alone is not enough; you also need to ensure ease of use. The steak knife must be easy to hold, well balanced, and has a good proportion. That way, you can cut the steak effortlessly while having a good conversation with your family and friends.
A sharp steak knife has to be safe to use. Go for a steak knife set that is sturdy and well-made with robust construction, ensuring that it will not wobble or loosen over time. Ideally, look for a steal knife that features a full tang because it is made from a single piece of metal. As a result, the blade does not come out from the handle unnecessarily.
An ergonomically shaped handle comes with fewer accidents, while a full bolster allows you to position your hand correctly to prevent slips and cuts.
Type of Edge
Not all steak knife blades are the same; you can encounter different types, such as:
- Plain Edge. A steak knife with a plain edge is less traditional. This edge is easy to sharpen. It tends to be razor-sharp at first but quickly blunts with regular use.
- Serrated Edge. A serrated edge comes with little teeth. It stays sharp for a long period, usually for many years. Unlike the plain edge, the grooves between the teeth do not expose too much. While the teeth’ small section may get blunt, the grooves will remain sharp.
- Micro-serrated Edge. A micro-serrated edge is often found on more affordable steak knives. If you are not investing in steak knives for many years of use, knives with micro-serrated blades are a reasonable option. On the other hand, you cannot sharpen them.
Ideally, steak knife blades are made from stainless steel. However, this material comes in different types with unique qualities. More expensive steak knives are usually made from branded stainless-steel types that provide enhanced staining, corrosion resistance, durability, and strength.
Stainless steel containing a high carbon content is gaining popularity nowadays. This steel type is easy to sharpen, lighter and holds the edge for longer.
The grind is defined as how the knife is thinned to deliver a sharp cutting edge. Most steak knives come with a hollow grind, creating a V-shape when you view them as a cross-section. Steak knives with this grind type are extremely sharp, making it easier for you to slice through the meat.
The other grind type is known as a full flat grind. This one is less sharp than the hollow grind. On the bright side, it offers extra strength. You can also sharpen it easier.
Type of Handle
Steak knife handles are usually riveted onto the full tang of the blade, but there are other handle types, such as:
- Traditional Style Handles. This handle type can be made from plastic or wood and features three rivets, so keep the handles in place. It is ergonomically shaped and designed to comfortably and easily fit the hand while reducing the chances of slipping.
- Japanese and Contemporary Style Handles. These handles can also be made from plastic or wood. They are flatter and narrower than the traditional ones. They usually lack ergonomic design but offer a greater balance between the handle and the blade.
A high-quality steal knife set is necessary whether you are a weekend steak master or a foodie fanatic. Always go for well-balanced steak knives, easy and comfortable to use, and can slice through the meat with little effort. Happy cooking and eating!