Are you EDC enthusiasts? If so, you depend on a tool to prepare you for any condition you may encounter. Different tools are available, but the most common item is the assisted opening knife.
There are many knife manufacturers and many models to select from. In this post, we round up some of the best open assist knives available.
Our Top Open Assist Knives Reviews
We spend time going to the best assist knives models. There are many available, and we narrowed them down according to their features. Here are the top open assisted knives.
Best Overall Open Assist Knives: Kershaw Link
This product wins our top honors for the best overall open assist knife. Kershaw Link is integrated with a 4.4-inch body when closed. It is also combined with a retractable carbon and aluminum alloy for the blade, providing superb toughness as well as a razor-sharp edge. This also comes with a reversible pocket clip, SpeedSafe assisted opening and integrated with a flipper for fast and easy draws.
This is available in a BlackWash finish, which creates a worn appearance and hides prints and scratches. As patriotic model #1176 of Kershaw, this one is created to be the best collectible utility open assisted blade of its kind.
The integrated liner lock and reversible pocket clip features offer the utmost safety and accessibility. This is the go-to know when hunting, scouting, fishing, or working around the office or home.
Both sturdy and sharp, the Kershaw Link is distinct, with a one-handed opening for personal protection or defense during lifesaving emergencies.
- An excellent, simple as well as nice design. Aesthetically pleasing, very functional, and comfortable in the hand
- The liner locks feature works perfectly, is extremely discrete as well as eases finger placement as opposed to frame locks.
- Value for money speaks for itself.
- The blade is made of high quality materials, which makes it tough, durable, and will last for many years of use.
- This open-assisted knife is heavier. It is not advisable for those who are into lightweight knives.
Best Open Assist Opening Knife for the Money: MTech USA MT-A882CH Spring Assist Folding Knife
MTech is renowned for making extremely affordable knives preferred by many budget-minded consumers.
As you see, this MTech USA assisted opening knife is cheaper than other similar options, which makes it a superb choice for those searching for reasonable tools at the same can last for many years of use.
This model comes with a blade that measures 2.75 inches and weighs 3.53 ounces, which makes it the preferred one for those who are looking for a compact knife. You can trigger the spring-assisted opening with the help of two different mechanisms; the finger actuation level located at the back of the knife or the thumb hold located on the blade itself. This knife is integrated with a bottle opener at the base of its handle to sweeten the pot a bit, which makes it an all-around knife.
What makes this knife more attractive is its low price. You cannot look forward to it holding up like the ones which a high price tags. Problems with the knife breaking fast or spring actuation are common. On the other hand, this product is gaining a lot of positive feedback that says it is better than you may expect from other cheaper and super affordable knives.
- This assists opening knife is available in different beautiful bright colors, so you will surely find one that will meet your days.
- The company behind this knife offers sixty days warranty. You can ask for a refund if you find any flaws in the knife upon your purchase.
- This has come in a sleek and tactical design, and it also comes with a quick spring-assisted mechanism.
- The handle of this knife is ergonomic and anti-slip, so you can use it even if your hands are wet.
- Half of the blade of this knife is serrated
- The knife is just made of simple stainless steel material and not forged.
- Spring assist Folding knife offers rapid one-handed deployment, locks securely into place with liner lock
- Black stainless steel blade with thumb stud for faster deployment
- Black aluminum handle with cut-out design
- Pocket clip for easy and safe carry; seatbelt cutter and Glass breaker for emergencies
- 5-inch closed length; 3. 75-Inch blade length with 3. 5 mm thickness
Best Cheap Open Assisted Knife: Kershaw Leek
If you are searching for a high quality open assisted knife but run out of budget, good news because Kershaw Leek is here for you.
The Kershaw Leek is a very popular model that is stood the test of time. While some knives available come with a drop point blade, this one is integrated with the Wharncliffe profile, a long straight edge, and a sharp tip that makes it so easy for you to sharpen.
This is made of 4C28N mid-range steel, which can be made extremely sharp. Also, it utilizes nitrogen instead of carbon to put in more hardness, providing its blade with a high level of corrosion resistance. These factors and the lightweight and slip design make it an amazing value spring-assisted knife.
- The integrated Wharncliffe profiles make this open assisted knife easy to sharpen.
- This is also made of high-quality stainless-steel material that makes it corrosion resistant.
- The slim and lightweight design allows you to store and carry this knife anywhere you go comfortably and effectively.
- The tip of this knife is a little bit fragile
- The handle is not made of no-grip material, so it is slippery to use when it is wet.
- KERSHAW LEEK POCKET KNIFE: The Kershaw Leek might just be your new favorite EDC. Not too big, not too small, the 3-inch blade and slim design make it capable of fulfilling a wide range of cutting tasks. Made in the USA.
- DROP POINT PLAIN EDGE BLADE: Made from high-performance Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel, the blade resharpens easily and holds its edge. The bead-blasted finish provides a clean, matte look.
- 410 STAINLESS STEEL HANDLE: The corrosion-resistant, stainless-steel handle is contoured for a comfortable grip while in use. Silver, bead-blasted finish. Includes reversible pocketclip for right, tip-up/down carry.
- DESIGNED WITH SAFETY IN MIND: Equipped with Kershaw’s SpeedSafe assisted opening for easy one-handed release with flipper. Frame lock secures blade open while in use and Tip-lock slider keeps blade locked closed when folded.
- SIZE SPECIFICATIONS: Blade Length: 3in. Closed Length: 4in. Overall Length: 7in. Weighing in at 3oz. Backed by Kershaw’s Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Best Lightweight Open Assisted Knife: SOG Twitch II
This sleek SOG Twitch IIopen assisted knife is a small daily knife that is easy to carry anywhere you want to go. It is integrated with features such as an additional safety lock to keep the blade open, or you can also avoid it from inadvertently opening in your bag or pocket and a big tough pocket clip.
Its blade is made of AUS-8 stainless steel, budget steel that is simple to sharpen but does not have good edge retention. This blade is a bit short on the other side from some jobs; however, the size and slim profile, as well as the handle made of the anodized handle, make it look discreet. The integrated spring mechanism might experience wear in due course.
- This is a very lightweight open-assisted knife so that you can carry it anywhere you want to go with ease.
- This is not just lightweight but also available for a reasonable price
- This is also integrated with a tough and sturdy pocket clip
- The blade of this knife is a little on the short side.
- Not as strong and robust as more expensive and costlier models.
- 2.65 INCH AUS-8 STAINLESS STEEL KNIVES: This ultra sharp knife is a discreet emergency knife, hunting knife and every day pocket knife for men or women; measures 3.55 inches in closed length with model number: TWI8-CP
- SOG ASSISTED TECH (S.A.T.): Makes a great everyday carry, camping knife and outdoor knife; assisted opening knife system opens this straight edge clip knife one-handed
- FOLDING KNIFE “KICK”: Release this fast opening knife with either hand using very little pressure; flick the EDC tactical folding knife “kick” on the back of the Twitch II and the folding knife into action
- TOUGH ALUMINUM HANDLE: These tough utility knives, camping knives and survival knives offer strength and durability with a hard-anodized aluminum handle
- SOG KNIVES FOR LIFE: Take care of your pocket knife and we’ll take care of you; SOG folding knives and pocket knives are built to last, and we consider all repair and replacement requests
Best Premium Assisted Opening Knife: Zero Tolerance 0770CF
State of the art Zero Tolerance is an expensive open assist knife available. On the other hand, you get what you pay for. This is made of high-quality CPM-S35VN stainless steel that is hard, tough, easy to sharpen, and comes with a razor-sharp edge.
The integrated carbon fiber handle and the thin blade make for a super lightweight, slim knife easily fits your pocket. The Zero Tolerance open assisted knife fits securely and nicely into your left and right hand, and even if the flipper system does need a little bit of pressure and force, it’s fast to open, and the locking system is solid. This is also integrated with a reversible pocket clip.
- This premium open assisted opening knife is made of high-quality stainless steel, so you are assured that it will last for many years.
- This is very lightweight, so you can easily carry this knife anywhere you want to go. This also has a stylish design.
- This open assist knife is made and manufactured in the US, so you are assured of its superiority and quality.
- The pocket clip is not of the same superiority as other models and makes of knife available out there.
- 3.25” Crucible S35VN steel features excellent wear resistance, toughness and protection against chipping
- Carbon-fiber handle construction with a secure inset liner lock, reversible deep-carry pocketclip and stylish oversized pivot
- Optimal for tasks like cutting wire, prying materials, piercing hard plastics, preparing fire kindling, opening packages and animal defense
- Design is on ZT’s award winning 0777, a limited-run knife well-respected among blade aficionados.Blade Thickness: 0.121 inch
- Hard-use EDC for knife lovers everywhere such as outdoor enthusiasts, wilderness guides, active military, first responders, law enforcement, survivalists, hobbyists and more
Best Tactical Assisted Opening Knife: Gerber Covert FAST
If you are searching for an open assisted knife for tactical application, the Gerber Covert FAST is indeed the best and ideal choice.
The Gerber Covers is a more tactical or combined application than EDC knives. The blade is coated with titanium with a spear point design that has a serrated section. If you have big hands, you will surely love and appreciate the slightly bigger handle; however, if you are a left-handed person, you may need to pass on this knife because the thumb stud opening system is made for right-hand application only.
The word FAST on its name comes from the company’s speed single-handed opening mechanism. It is also integrated with a safety switch in order to avoid accidental opening. On the other hand, a lot of users of this knife found that one is a little bit sticky.
- This open-assisted knife comes with a decent size handle, which makes it easy to use.
- The long blade is what makes this open assisted knife apart from the rest.
- This is one of the cheapest open assisted knives available on the market at this point.
- This is one of the best open assisted knives available, but only ideal for right-handed users.
- This is also integrated with a stick safety switch.
- This is bulky, which makes it annoying to store or keep in the pocket.
- Rugged And Reliable Design In All Our Products
- Can Be Used In Various Military, Hunting, Survival, Tactical, Industrial And Outdoor Situations
- All Products Are Field Tested
- Tough Titanium Coated Blade
Best Open Assisted Knives for Gifts: Kershaw Cryo II
Aside from the products mentioned, Kershaw Cryo 11 is also one of the best open assisted knives available. The company dominated the knives market with its superior but affordable knives, and one good example is the Cryo II. It is one of the most popular blades today.
To keep costs down, the company utilized 8CR13MoV steel; on the other hand, the heat treatment as well as the coating that is applied on the blade of this knife assists in making the most out of the edge retention and includes a little bit of toughness which may be lacking in an affordable and low-quality knife out there.
The best thing about this knife is that you can utilize either the thumb stud or flipper systems to deploy the blade. In case you are eager to put in the job to keep it sharp, this amazing open assisted knife is a good value, if rather pocket, heavy knife.
- What makes this knife an excellent choice is the thumb stud and flipper mechanism options.
- Superb performance without spending a lot of money.
- Good value, and they offer a generous warranty on all the products they offer. So, you are assured of the quality and superiority of the product.
- This product is heavy and bulky, which makes it annoying to store in your pocket.
- KERSHAW CRYO XL BLACKWASH POCKET KNIFE: Styled after the original Cryo for its award-winning design, now offered in an XL sized rough-and-tumble blackwash finish for a sturdy, good looking knife.
- DROP POINT PLAIN EDGE BLADE: Made from 8Cr13MoV blade steel that offers edge-holding capability, strength, and hardness that’s easy to sharpen. BlackWash blade finish adds extra protection and hide scuffs.
- CONTOURED, ALL-STEEL HANDLE provides a comfortable, secure grip during use. Black-oxide BlackWash handle. Includes pocketclip for 4-position deep-carry (right/left, tip-up/down).
- DESIGNED WITH SAFETY IN MIND: Equipped with Kershaw’s SpeedSafe assisted opening and built-in flipper for easy one-handed blade release. Frame lock secures blade safely in place and lockbar stabilization prevents lock over-travel.
- SIZE SPECIFICATIONS: Blade Length: 3.25in. Closed Length: 4.4in. Overall Length: 7.75in. Weighing in at 5.5oz. Backed by Kershaw's Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Best Stylish Open Assist Knife: Kershaw Blur 1670S30V
This type of knife has been around for many years in different designs and styles. This version comes with a drop blade made from superior and high-quality CPM S30V stainless steel. This is identical to the Zero Tolerance blades.
This Kershaw Blur 1670S30V is a very stylish open-assisted knife. The integrated, rubberized insert on the handle enhances the grip. A lot of people find it gets stuck in the pocket. The integrated features like the Speed Safe system and ambidextrous thumb stud mechanism make the blade open fast as well as smoothly, and there is no risk of accidental opening.
This is a very lightweight and robust open assisted knife that will surely last for many years of use.
- This open assisted knife is made of superior and high-quality stainless material so that it will last for many years of use.
- The rubberized handle provides a comfortable and good grip even if this handle is wet or your hand is wet.
- Aside from having an amazing design, this knife is also available in different types of blades and colors. So, you will surely find one that will suit your taste and preference.
- Despite the many perks, it also comes with some flaws like the thumb studs can be uncomfortable to utilize
- The integrated pocket clip of this knife is overly tight.
- KERSHAW S30V BLUR POCKETKNIFE: With a slightly recurved blade that offers slicing and piercing capabilities, the Blur is one of our most popular knives. Now offered with ugraged S30V powdered stainless steel blade and a stonewashed finish.
- DROP POINT RECURVE PLAIN EDGE BLADE: Made from dense, fine-grained S30V stainless steel that holds an extremely sharp edge. Excellent toughness, wear resistance, and hardness come with this steel. A stonewash blade finish adds protection.
- 6061-T6 ALUMINUM HANDLE: The black anodized aluminum handle is scratch and fade resistant. Trac-Tec inserts promote a secure grip during use and are suitable for all weather conditions. Includes reversible pocketclip for right, tip-up/down carry.
- DESIGNED WITH SAFETY IN MIND: Equipped with Kershaw’s assisted opening for easy one-handed release with thumb-stud. Inset liner lock secures blade in place for ensured user safety.
- SIZE SPECIFICATIONS: Blade Length: 3.4in. Closed Length: 4.5in. Overall Length: 7.9in. Weighing in at 4oz. Made in the USA. Backed by Kershaw’s Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Features to Look for When Buying the Best Steak Knife
What makes a high quality open assisted knife? So, in this section, we will look at the vital features and even top considerations when looking at an open assisted knife. So, check this out!
A lot of different types of steel are utilized in the construction of blades, each steel with a bit different mixture of edge retention, toughness, capability to sharp, ease of sharpening, and corrosion resistance.
Some companies try to even out all these components to provide a blade with above-average or average scores and ratings across the board. A high-end model is likely to give importance to toughness and edge retention. These blades will do well but are hard to sharpen.
So, the choice depends on the budget and what is planning to utilize the knife for. For instance, if you know you will be utilizing it in saltwater, then opting for corrosion-resistant steel is the main priority.
Thumbs Studs and Blade Buttons
The open assisted knife is integrated with a thumb-mounted opening mechanism. A lot of models depend on flipper paddles of thumb studs in opening the knife as well as showing the blade. You have to pick the approach which is ideal and right for you.
Both choices provide a quick blade opening, and choosing the best option is a personal choice.
Some knives come with a spring level engaging during the blade travel while opening. Thus, the blade snaps safely into place naturally, providing you full control over the blade. If you like to take out the blade, move the line locking system, freeing it to go back to the chassis.
When it comes to blade length, it comes down to your personal choice and the purposes of buying it.
Some of the knives mentioned are EDC knives that have blades between 3 and 3.5 inches in length.
Grip and Comfort
How this knife feels in your hand is also a personal thing and not something that is easy to determine when buying online.
If you are a skilled knife owner, you already know what you are searching for; however, for first-timers, it is worth getting your hands on various makes and models to acquire an idea of what size and style of blade you want.
There are many designs of blades for purpose build cases. For instance, if you are an emergency worker, search for the one which provides a curved blade. The blade gets under seat belts, enabling fast cutting of the harness and getting rid of the victim from the straps.
If you are a hunter or want a knife for protection, a bloodline is a must-have feature in the blade. This gets the blade far from stopping the flow of blood, allowing the attacker or animal to bleed out.
Companies will make blades for various applications. A shorter blade is valuable for harder tasks around the campground and EDC cases. A blade that measures four inches in length is the best option for multi-purpose applications.
On the other hand, a shorter blade provides more leverage, making it ideal for harder cutting jobs. A longer blade is the best option for hunting as well as EDC self-defense. The blade can come with serrations or a clean edge, with various stabbing, cutting, or slashing tips.
Lightweight Construction and Materials
If carrying an open assisted knife, you may not need a heavy model. You need a knife that is lightweight. Search for slimline form factors which easily fit against your pocket. A lot of models come with reversible pocket clips for left or right-handed carry.
A lot of open-assisted knives come with super-lightweight materials like carbon alloys and stainless steel. Some of the weight comes from their handles. You want more weight in the knife handles to give control when cutting.
Durability and Service Life
When purchasing a new open assisted opening knife, ensure you buy one from a premier manufacturer. The open assisted knives mentioned feature construction and design by renowned brands all over the world. The models mentioned are also the best provided in this class.
Premium makers of knives provide lifetime warranties on the chassis and blade of the open assisted knife. On the other hand, they will not assure the product for wear and tear. It only means that they are not accountable when the edge goes dull.
You will want to keep it yourself and make sure you have a razor-sharp edge blade. But we recommend against sharpening the knife by yourself. It takes a craftsman many years to know to sharpen it properly. There are many types of open assisted knives; it all depends on the material used in the making of the blade. With expert service, you acquire a razor-sharp finish you are able to depend on.
Open assisted knives usually utilize a flipper system or a thumb stud for single-handed opening. Many makes and models provide the choices for both.
One flaw of this system is that there is a risk of the blade being deployed accidentally if something pushes on the small fin, for instance, if the knife is kept in the pocket. Because of this, most open assisted knives that utilize this system have an extra safety or security lock.
Some open assisted knives are made for application with either hand; however, some favor left or right-handed owners, either in the style of the grip or thumb study positioning or locking mechanism.
What is an Open Assist Knife?
An open assist knife is a lightweight folding knife with a built-in spring mechanism in its handle that accelerates the process of accessing the knife blade quickly and conveniently.
Different knife makers incorporate various assisted opening mechanism features into their products to make them more unique and appealing to knife enthusiasts.
For example, Kershaw SpeedSafe knives use the torsion bar-assisted opening mechanism. When these foldable knives are closed, a user just needs to apply the right amount of pressure on the thumb stud and the SpeedSafe opening mechanism blade will whip out.
Benchmade knives, on the other hand, use what they call a suck-back assisted opening mechanism and SOG knives also have their own patented coil spring opening technology.
What’s the Best Handle Material for Spring-Assisted Knives?
Aluminum is the best handle material for spring-assisted knives. While there is a wide variety of options that can also give you a decent grip when using this survival tool, aluminum and other metal handles give you the reliable strength and super-solid grip you need to make the most of your open-assist knife, especially with heavier tasks.
A spring-assisted opening knife with aluminum handle scales is also a perfect gift idea since it offers a more durable and long-lasting grip, alongside excellent strength and beauty.
That said, a pocket knife with handles made of materials like wood or embossed ABS plastic will not disappoint you either.
Are Spring-Assisted Knives Legal in California and the UK?
Yes, spring-assisted knives are legal in California and the UK. However, in either of these locations, your tactical knife has to meet certain standards or conditions if it’s to be considered legal to possess and carry.
As an example, in California, the knife’s premium blade steels must be openable with one thumb or hand or it’s considered illegal to possess. More specifically, it must be openable when pressure is applied to the blade. Also, the knife should ideally have a solid lockup and added mechanisms in place to prevent accidental opening.
In the UK, these knives don’t violate the law as well. They are categorized as locking knives which are seen as considerably safer and useful for some everyday tasks. So, unlike with flipper knife blades, you’re free to have these daily carry blades on your person as long as you can provide a “good reason” for doing so.
Is an Automatic Knife the Same as a Spring-Assisted Knife?
No, the automatic knife is very different from the spring-assisted knife. There’s usually some confusion over this because open assist knives open faster than traditional manual opening knives and almost rival the speed of automatic knives in this regard.
However, they’re not the same as automatic knives. Also known as a switchblade, the opening mechanism button of an automatic knife is completely separated from the actual blade it’s releasing. As such, automatic and spring-assisted knives are mechanically and fundamentally different.
This difference in opening mechanism is one of the major reasons why open-assisted knives are legally allowed in more areas than automatic blades.
In general, there are a lot of open assisted knives to select from, and the choice tends to come down mainly to personal preference and, budget, how the assisted opening knife feels in hand.
We are hoping that through this article, we are able to help you find the knife that will suit your needs, preference, and budget.