Cleaning and filleting are not the same as slicing through rigid bones and meat. You’ll need a filleting knife for this. You’ve already figured out that this is the case because you’re here looking for the most excellent fillet knife.
If you’re looking for the most excellent fillet knife, you’ll need to research before making a purchase. Because this guide will not only show you the top 10 best fillet knives on the market, but it will also give you a few tips on what to look for when purchasing one. You don’t have to go out and buy one on your own.
- 1 Our Top Fillet Knife Review
- 2 Best Overall Fillet Knife | Wusthof Classic Ikon 7 Inch Fillet Knife
- 3 Best Runner Up Fillet Knife | Morakniv Fishing Comfort
- 4 Best Fillet Knife for Your Money | Dexter Outdoors SOFGRIP 8 Inches Flexible Fillet Knife with Edge Guard
- 5 Best Cheap Fillet Knife | Rapala Fish ’n Fillet
- 6 Best Electric Fillet Knife | Bubba Blade 110V Electric Fillet Knife
- 7 Best Electric Fillet Knife Runner up | Rapala R12 Heavy-Duty Lithium Fillet Knife Combo
- 8 Best Japanese Style Fillet Knife | Huusk Knife
- 9 Best Fillet Knife for Beginners |BUBBA 7″ Tapered Flex
- 10 Best Flexible Fillet Knife | Dalstrong 7-inch Flexible Fillet Knife
- 11 Best Durable Fillet Knife | Kershaw Clearwater 7’’ Fillet Knife (1257X)
- 12 Features to Consider When Buying a Fillet Knife
- 13 Conclusion
Our Top Fillet Knife Review
The task of finding the fillet knife can be difficult. The best fillet knife must be built with high-quality materials and design. Once you’ve used one, you’ll never want to use your ordinary chicken knife to do all the filleting jobs.
There are several factors to consider while selecting the best utility knife. We’ve narrowed the possibilities down to just a few to make things easier.
Best Overall Fillet Knife | Wusthof Classic Ikon 7 Inch Fillet Knife
The Wusthof Classic Ikon is our top pick! Worthy for the money, a razor-sharp blade for easy filleting meats. Wusthof’s Classic Ikon fillet knife has a thin, flexible 7-inch stainless-steel blade gently bent for better precision cutting and durability. The quadruple riveting on the handle of this full-tang knife enhances your control of the edge and leads to more precise cutting.
Discoloration and fading are not an issue with the polyoxymethylene used for the handle’s construction. Additionally, the curved grip makes it easier to cut with and less tiring to use.
Thanks to its sturdy leather sheath, you’ll be safe and secure on the water with this high-quality knife, but it doesn’t fold for simple storage when you get home. Using the partial bolster, you can sharpen the entire blade.
- Has Flexible blade
- Very Durable
- Full tang
- Comes with Leather protective sheath
- Razor sharp
- Doesn’t fold
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC IKON SERIES – Features a sleek and sophisticated black handle with a double bolster for exceptional balance, beauty, and the ultimate cutting experience. Classic IKON: Design, Ergonomics, and Quality Perfected
- PRECISION FORGED – Forged from a single block of High Carbon Stainless Steel and tempered to 58-degree HRC. The Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) yields a blade that is 20% sharper with twice the edge retention than previous models
- FISH KNIFE – The CLASSIC IKON 7" Fillet Knife has a very thin flexible blade used for deboning and filleting fish. The long narrow blade enables the knife to move smoothly along the backbone of the fish and easily removes the fish skin
- DURABLE – WÜSTHOF Cutlery is crafted to resist corrosion and dulling. This German made Kitchen Knife set Comes with a limited Lifetime Warranty
- CENTURIES OF TRADITION – Family owned for seven generations, WÜSTHOF was founded in Solingen, Germany over 200 years ago. WÜSTHOF’s cutlery carries the Solingen name, a designation reserved for products that meet the strictest quality standards
Best Runner Up Fillet Knife | Morakniv Fishing Comfort
There’s no better place for a filleting knife to begin your search than a well-established Swedish knife company that has been around for more than a century. The Morakniv Fishing Comfort is a small but classic fillet knife and baits knife by Morakniv.
Fillet knives come in 3.5 and 6.1 inches in length, so you can choose between a short or medium-length knife for smaller and larger fish, depending on the task. This knife cuts with precision and power with a 1.9 millimeter thick Sandvik 12C27 stainless-steel blade and a rubber handle. It is protected from damage by a plastic covering.
For a fish filleting knife that can also be used to cut herbs, fruits, raw meat and vegetables, the Morakniv Fishing Comfort is the best option. Morakniv’s fishing Comfort fillet knife is the ideal fillet knife for anglers looking for a fillet knife that can resist the rigors of fishing. The blade is razor-sharp, and the rubber handle provides a secure grip even when wet.
Cold-rolled Swedish Stainless-Steel is used for the blade of the Morakniv fishing comfort fillet knife. The rubber handle provides a solid grip, and the combination of Swedish steel and rubber makes this knife suitable for use in wet conditions. It’s adaptable, and you can handle fish of all sizes with ease.
- Extremely sharp blade
- Comes with a knife sheath for safe storage
- Has a Comfortable handle
- Poor edge-retention
- Stainless steel fillet knife with patterned, high-friction handle; available in 3.5-inch or 6.1-inch blade lengths
- 6.1-inch blade is versatile enough for most sizes of fish; slotted plastic sheath is easy to clean and includes two belt clips: belt-loop or clip-on
- Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel is known for its razor sharpness, high hardness, exceptional toughness, and excellent corrosion resistance
- High-friction handle allows users to maintain grip when cleaning fish; does not absorb odors
- Blade thickness: 0.07 inches (1.9 mm); blade length: 6.1 inches (155 mm), total length: 10.6 inches (270 mm), net weight: 3.5 oz. (99g)
Best Fillet Knife for Your Money | Dexter Outdoors SOFGRIP 8 Inches Flexible Fillet Knife with Edge Guard
The Dexter Outdoors SOFGRIP Flexible Fillet Knife from Dexter stands head and shoulders above the competition when it comes to value. It’s suitable for both novices and veterans. It’s a simple, no-nonsense filleting knife. Because of the blade’s good flex, it may easily glide over bones. DEXSTEEL, a high alloy, stain-resistant steel, makes it incredibly sharp right out of the packaging. To put it simply, a high carbon steel blade is far more forgiving when it comes to sharpening and honing than a more rigid steeled blade. The 7-inch and 8-inch variants are ideal for most fish species.
Comfortable and supple, the SOFGRIP handle is a joy to hold. It’s much less likely to slip than a knife with a wooden handle. It still has tremendous traction even when wet and caked in fish slime. The knife’s smooth and sleek shape makes it easy to clean because there aren’t many seams or ridges that trap grime. Commercial anglers, guides, and chefs will appreciate that it is NSF-certified to ensure your safety and your blade. This knife is crafted in the United States and comes packaged in a protective sheath.
- Razor Sharp
- Easy to sharpen
- Ergonomic, non-slip handle
- Comes with a plastic sheath
- No belt loop or tab on the sheath
- Dexter Outdoors 24902 Knife
- Style: SG133-8EG
- 200 years of experience
- Proprietary American steel blades
Best Cheap Fillet Knife | Rapala Fish ’n Fillet
The Rapala Fish ‘n Fillet may be sharpened to razor-sharpness right out of the box using high-quality steel. Every piece of equipment you’ll need is included in the package, including an attractive sheath made of high-quality leather and sharpening for the knife.
Rapala’s Fish ‘n Fillet is an excellent choice for a budget filleting knife. It’s been the go-to filleting knife for anglers for decades. At a price everybody can afford, it has everything you need. The Rapala is your best bet if you’re looking for a filleting knife with a proven track record. Fish n’ Fillet has been made by Marttiini, the Finnish makers of Rapala fillet knives, for more than 50 years and has sold more than 100 million knives to this day.
The full-tang stainless-steel blade on the Fish n’ Fillet has a progressive taper and flexibility that distinguishes it from other fish knives. Four blade sizes are offered, with the 7 12″ model being the most useful and adaptable. You can easily sharpen the long-lasting edge of the high-quality steel when necessary.
The birch handle can become more slippery than a rubberized grip when wet despite its lightweight and pleasant nature. An attractive leather Laplander sheath is included with the Fish ‘n Fillet, but cleaning it is a pain due to the buildup of dirt, slime, and oils. A single-stage sharpening is also included for on-the-water adjustments. It’s a fantastic fillet knife for those on a tight budget or who want an excellent traditional design.
- Cheap price
- High-quality stainless-steel blade
- Very Lightweight
- Comes with accessories
- Handle is made of slippery wood
- Leather sheath gets grimy
- The product is Fish 'N Fillet 6" Knife
- Easy to use
- The product is manufactured in China
- The product is Fish 'N Fillet 6" Knife
- The product is manufactured in China
Best Electric Fillet Knife | Bubba Blade 110V Electric Fillet Knife
As it has four independent blades, the Bubba 110V Electric Fillet Knife can be suitable for filleting various species. Filleting small to medium-sized fish using the 7-inch and 9-inch flexible blades and the 9-inch and 12-inch stiff blades is best done with the 9-inch and 12-inch blades.
The titanium-nitride coating on the steel is used to make the blades improve their corrosion resistance. The 8-foot power cord on the Bubba Blade knife ensures quiet operation. Ventilation is integrated inside the handle to prevent it from overheating.
A safety lock and a trigger guard keep you secure while using the handle, which is gripping and easy to grip. This electric fishing fillet knife also comes with a tote case for convenient transportation and storage.
- Includes 4 separate blades
- Versatile Fillet Knife
- Comes with carrying case
- Needs Power source to run
- Not cordless
Best Electric Fillet Knife Runner up | Rapala R12 Heavy-Duty Lithium Fillet Knife Combo
The Bubba Blade 110V Electric Fillet Knife is already on our list, but it’s worth mentioning this one. It is hard to beat in terms of value and performance. Compared to other battery-powered fillet knives, this one is lighter and better balanced.
This knife has a slew of impressive features, making it among the best electric fillet knives available, if not the best. The knife is much lighter and more balanced than other battery-powered fillet knives that I’ve used before. It takes a long time before your wrists and forearms hurt from using the R12. The thumb button very intuitively activates the pushing motion of a fillet stroke. The motor seems to be working faster and harder than most corded fillet knives in terms of speed and power. Unlike some of its competitors, it isn’t weighed down by rib bones or large meat fillets. It’s an investment, but buying the Rapala boosts quality that will last a long time compared to the Mister Twister.
The R12’s battery is incredibly long-lasting and fast-charging, making it a great fillet knife. As far as battery life is concerned, Rapala claims the R12’s batteries may be used for approximately 80 hours without recharging. Compared to other high-end battery-powered electric fillet knives, the R12’s price is fair. Rapala might have included a couple more blade designs, and the two included batteries, charger, case, and blade sizes. If you ever find yourself in a bind and don’t have access to BUBBA knives, don’t worry; the blades on this electric knife can be swapped out for others.
- Battery life is long
- Fast Charging model
- Light and balanced
- Only comes with 2 blades
- Product Type: OUTDOOR RECREATION PRODUCT
- Package quantity: 1
- No batteries required
- Package weight: 1.0 lb
Best Japanese Style Fillet Knife | Huusk Knife
Handmade in Japan, the Huusk knife is a multipurpose cooking utensil that can be used indoors and out. According to its website, this high-quality knife is a blend of traditional Japanese blacksmithing techniques with cutting-edge aesthetics. It further adds that the knife undergoes more than 130 steps of testing before it is shipped out.
The high manganese content and 420C high carbon steel used in the Huusk knife have numerous advantages. Outstanding abrasion and wear resistance and the durability of sharp edges are some of its best features. To avoid rust, you must always clean and dry the carbon stainless-steel blade after each usage.
Filleting fish, deboning a lamb’s leg, and skinning a chicken are all possible with the Huusk knife. Pork loin and ribs can also be separated. Depending on your needs, it can serve as a boning knife, butcher knife, or chef knife. Because of its curved design, the blade can easily separate the meat from the bone. Use it in the kitchen or when out in the woods as you usually would.
In terms of design, the Huusk multipurpose knife stands out because of its curving contour and eye-catching texture. The handle of this high-quality knife is made from logwood, which provides a sense of stability and beauty. The knife’s leather sheath also enhances its aesthetic appeal.
Even though Huusk says that the steel used to make its knives are Japanese, the manufacturing process occurs in China. However, the knife company’s official website states that the “Huusk Japan” model is manufactured in Japan despite its Lithuanian origins. Because the origin looks ambiguous, it may dissuade some cautious purchasers from purchasing the product.
- durable while still maintaining razor-sharp edges
- Well-crafted grip
- In some cases, it might be dull out of the box
- Note: First you need to know this is huusk japan knife handmade forged from high carbon steel and high manganese steel. It is not made of stainless steel, so after each use, you may need keep it clean and dry to resist rust. But high carbon steel has a better ability to maintain sharp edges than stainless steel. It will assist you with every perfect cut. Reasonable maintenance after every use, it will last a long lifetime.
- Multi-function: Huusk chef knife is multipurpose,whether you trimming brisket, boning leg of lamb, skinning or breaking down a whole chicken, or even separating ribs from pork loin.Curved profile, can be precisely separated meat and bone. It is very sharp,suitable for kitchen or outdoor camping BBQ use.
- Material: 62 HRC of curved-blade means the slicing blade is hard and boasts exceptional edge retention.16K handmade mirror polishing means anti-rust and anti-corrosion.You can easily use different sharpening tools to sharp it after a long-time use.
- Caveman Knife Designs: The huusk japanese kitchen knife handle was made of log wood, scientific humanized design, integrated blade body, long-term grip is not tired.
- 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: We are professional meat cutting knife manufacturers, very confident in the quality of the knifes, so we provide 6 months unconditional return,and 2-year warranty. Please feel free to contact us with any questions. With the luxury packing it is also the wise choice as a gift for culinary students, home cooks, professional chefs and more.
Best Fillet Knife for Beginners |BUBBA 7″ Tapered Flex
BUBBA 7′′ Tapered Flex is the most excellent fillet knife for beginners. However, it is not a beginner’s knife in the strictest sense. Red handles and coated, and razor-sharp blades distinguish BUBBA knives. You can rest assured that your hand won’t slip with a trigger-shaped rubber handle. Indexing points in white rubber fingers provide additional comfort and pressure. The blade is easy to hone and resharpen, and it’s ready to use right out of the box. The Teflon coating on the blade makes it non-stick, which comes in when cutting through a lot of fish. A protective coating on the blade is a must-have when fishing in saltwater.
The BUBBA 7′′ Tapered Flex and the whole series of BUBBA fillet knives are the best fillet knives for beginners because of their exceptionally comfortable, safe handle and Teflon coated blade. The Tapered Flex’s 7-inch blade is the appropriate all-purpose length and flexes for breaking down most fish, and BUBBA makes some great ones. The plastic sleeve that comes with it is also a nice touch.
- Comfortable Grip handle
- Safe handle for beginners
- The knife is corrosion resistant
- Little pricey
- DIMENSIONS: 13” overall length with 7” blade
- EASE OF USE: Non-Slip Grip handle for outstanding grip security providing ultimate knife control with trigger grip for added security
- RELIABLE: Features safety guards for protection from the blade and spines of fish
- DURABLE: Ideal for detailed precision cutting, a super thin 8Cr13MoV blade allows for effortless maneuvering to easily remove meat without loss, making it the ideal fishing knife
- CONVENIENT: The Ti-Nitride coated, rust resistant blade cuts through scales easily and features an extra sharp tip to make starting your cut a breeze and a sheath with a belt loop for close, hands free carry
Best Flexible Fillet Knife | Dalstrong 7-inch Flexible Fillet Knife
When it comes to minor and large-scale filleting jobs, the Dalstrong Gladiator Series fillet knife is ideal. Because of its exceptional sharpness and versatility, a filleting knife is a fantastic tool for deboning, skinning, trimming, descaling, filleting, and butterflying.
The knife’s multifunctional design may cut poultry and fish with the same blade. The blade has a 1.5mm thickness from the spine, making it more flexible and easy to maneuver. When cutting through the flesh and sinew with ease, this design has been created. This is a good compromise between scalpel-like sharpness and blade toughness since it extends from 16 to 18 degrees on either side.
In addition to providing non-stick characteristics for all foods, the blade’s tapered shape reduces cutting resistance. The high blade height offers a layer of safety, allowing for easier food prep and chopping.
- Durable edge retention
- Rust and corrosion resistant
- Hand polished satin finish
- Cleaning is a breeze
- Hard or frozen meat can easily brake the blade tip
- Outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, stunning design elements, and premium materials. Peak performance has never looked so good at this price. A must have for any butcher or fish monger, expertly handcrafted to handle both the small and large every-day demands of the professional kitchen with precision and efficiency.
- Incredibly razor sharp, full-tang, imported high-carbon German steel with a hand polished edge at 16-18 degrees per side. The narrow blade shape and slightly flexible design allow you to glide smoothly along the contours of bones, effortlessly separating meat without tearing, while the tapered tip maneuvers around smaller bones & cartilage.
- Award winning design, with satisfying heft, premium materials and quality feel. Luxury black G10 Garolite handle is triple-riveted with a grip that ensures comfort and maneuverability. Laminated and polished for a sanitary build, perfect for busy kitchens
- Engineered to perfection at 56+ Rockwell hardness and hand polished to a satin finish. Carefully tapered for improved hardness, flexibility, and minimal slicing resistance. The extra blade length limits wrist and hand fatigue by acting as an extension of the arm, performing long, single slices, on even the largest cuts of meat, effortlessly. National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) certified.
- See why thousands of professional chefs and home cooks love and trust the DALSTRONG DIFFERENCE. 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free, we know you'll love it!
Best Durable Fillet Knife | Kershaw Clearwater 7’’ Fillet Knife (1257X)
The Kershaw Clearwater is the next filleting knife on our list, a tribute to Japanese innovation. Even though the stainless-steel blade is a little flimsy, it is strong enough to handle filleting large fish. Corrosion isn’t a concern when filleting saltwater fish, which is a huge benefit.
Because the handle is comfortable to hold, it’s easy to cut precisely. Not to mention that the knife’s tip has neon headlights, ensuring that you will never accidentally cut yourself looking for it in the dark. Because of its lack of agility compared to other, more expensive fillet knives, the Kershaw is more commonly employed on land in the kitchen than on the water. With a few short strokes, it may be used in cutting through even the most challenging fish.
Any large fresh or saltwater fish may be cut with ease with the Kershaw Clearwater Fillet Knife, including tilapia, tuna, and catfish. Flexible enough when cutting through giant fish without breaking, the knife has a 7-inch high-performance stainless-steel blade.
This fillet knife has a soft, textured handle that makes it ideal for usage in wet circumstances. Kershaw’s fillet knife comes with an ABS sheath as tough as the knife itself, which sets it apart from the competition. The knife’s sheath tends to snap into place, preventing it from slipping out of the holster.
Kershaw’s knife is your best bet if you want the benefits of the best fish fillet knife at a low price. So why spend hundreds of dollars on something when you can achieve the same result at a far lower cost?
- Ergonomic handle for strong and comfortable grip
- Includes durable sheath
- Blade is slightly shorter
- 7" high-performance Japanese 420J2 stainless steel blade is resistant to corrosion; includes an ABS sheath with belt holster for blade protection and easy storage
- Comfortable, basic Black, textured, co-polymer soft rubber grip ensures a comfortable in-hand feel that won't slip, with neon-orange accents for easy detection
- Made in the U.S.A. And Backed by Kershaw limited Lifetime Warranty and excellent customer service
- Excellent knife for breaking down larger fresh and salt-water fish including such as tilapia, Salmon, Snapper, Tuna, Cod, eel, catfish, and more
- Keep handy in boats, tackle boxes, backpacks, on belts or in kitchens
Features to Consider When Buying a Fillet Knife
These are the features or factors you need to consider in buying your fillet knife. Remember, not all utility knives have the same quality and use. This might help you, so please keep reading down below.
Use a stainless-steel knife if you rarely use a fillet knife. Opt for a stainless-steel blade. It is easier to clean and maintain than carbon steel. The low-maintenance properties of the material are best suited for individuals who only fillet meat and fish on occasion. In addition to being more corrosion-resistant, stainless-steel blades are also easier to sharpen.
You should acquire a fillet knife with a carbon steel blade if you’re a fisherman or a butcher. It is more difficult to clean, but it retains its sharpness for a more extended period than stainless-steel. Because of its razor-sharp edge, you can also expect more precise cuts.
With a well-crafted handle, you’ll be able to fillet safely and quickly. In the past, wood has been used as a handle material due to its sturdiness and ability to absorb fish odors. Another time-consuming task is to clean and dry wood.
Rubber and plastic should be the first choices in terms of grip and traction. Because these materials are easy to clean, bacteria and fish odors aren’t a concern. The corrosion-resistant nature of these materials means they will last for a long time.
A high-quality fillet knife does not have to be expensive. A decent knife can be had for as low as $20. To receive the most outstanding possible product, you may have to fork over a bit more money. Spending money on a brand name is fine, but it isn’t necessary. Instead, contemplate the issues mentioned above.
An electric filleting knife may cost a few hundred dollars, but its performance, quality, durability, and finish make the investment worthwhile. In a nutshell, remember to keep your priorities straight. It is preferable to avoid sacrificing quality to get a better deal.
Flexibility is a crucial consideration when choosing a fish filleting knife since the task requires a truly flexible blade in every step. Removing flesh or thin skin off the bones without damaging the meat makes it simpler to go closer to the bones.
Depending on the size and types of meat you are working with, any knives on this list will do a terrific job. Using these fillet knives, you’ll be able to cut or slice through all of the delicate tissues and bones that are packed right close to the meaty flesh.
The most excellent filleting knife is only one piece of the puzzle, so keep that in mind while you shop. Knowing how to use it effectively is a very different matter. It’s a dangerous and challenging job at the same time. So, while you’re here, learn how to clean meat and create a fillet by following the step-by-step instructions.