It doesn’t matter if you are a professional chef or a home cook; having a remarkable knife is vital. Though it’s preferred by a lot, the average inexpert home cook might not precisely know what the Japanese style and elegant knife are.
While common amongst professional cooks, the average home chef might not know that the Japanese knife will best suit them. Are you familiar with the difference between a Nakiri knife, an Usuba knife, and a Santoku knife? Knowing so can help you lift up your kitchen skill set.
If you are a newbie, you must think of investing in a high-quality Nakiri knife. Knives from Nakiri are amongst the most useful ones in the kitchen. The term Nakiri comes from the term Na which means leaf, and Kiri means cutting in the Japanese language.
This kind of knife can be used to chop and dice vegetables with ease. But the question is, what are the best Nakiri knives available on the market at this point? The choice depends on what you are looking for in a knife. We have put together some amazing suggestions to assist you in your journey of finding the best Nakiri knife. So, let’s start!
- 1 Our Top Nakiri Knife Reviews
- 2 Best Overall: Wusthof Classic Nakiri Knife
- 3 Best for the Money: Shun Cutlery Classic Nakiri Knife
- 4 Best Cheap Nakiri Knife: J.A. Henckels International CLASSIC Christopher Kimball Edition Nakiri Knife
- 5 Best Gift Nakiri Knife: Yoshihiro Aoko Nakiri Japanese Vegetable Knife
- 6 Best Popular Nakiri Knife: DALSTRONG Nakiri Vegetable Knife
- 7 Yoshihiro Vegetable Chef Knife
- 8 What is a Nakiri Knife?
- 9 Considerations When Buying a Nakiri Knife
- 10 The Perks of Nakiri Knives: What Are They?
- 11 Conclusion
Our Top Nakiri Knife Reviews
It doesn’t matter if you are chopping carrots or cucumber; the Nakiri knife is an important kitchen utensil if you spend a lot of time in the kitchen. So, let us explore some of the best choices below without further ado.
Best Overall: Wusthof Classic Nakiri Knife
This is one of the best Nakiri knives available. This features a concave edge. These measure 7-inch, making them perfect for vegetable preparation. This conventional Japanese vegetable knife works best in slicing and dicing. This is made of precision forged steel.
Wusthof Classic Nakiri Knife is an ergonomic triple-riveted knife and comes with a full-tang handle. Also, it has a 58 Rockwell rating when it comes to a hardness that is lower as opposed to others on the list and means you need to sharpen the blade from time to time.
Wusthof Classic Nakiri Knife is also made with high-carbon stainless steel. This is also perfect for cutting fruit and cheese or mincing herbs. This knife also comes with a full bolster, which assists in protecting your fingers. It has laser-controlled and tested cutting edge.
- User-friendly and comfortable when using
- Extremely sharp and handling this knife is straightforward
- Aside from cutting vegetables, it also cuts bread and meat as thin as you like
- Don’t have a blade guard
- You need to purchase a sharpener to stay its sharpness.
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – 7" Hallow Edge Nakiri with full tang triple riveted synthetic polypropylene handles that resist fading, discoloration, heat and impact. The WÜSTHOF Classic Series has been our best-selling series for generations
- PRECISION FORGED – WÜSTHOF's Classic Series Knives are forged from a single block of High Carbon Stainless Steel and tempered to 58-degree HRC. The Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) yields a blade that is 20% sharper with twice the edge retention than previous models
- KITCHEN WORKHORSE – The CLASSIC 7" Nakiri Knife is designed with a thinner blade than the traditional cleaver, at a 10° cutting edge, and features a long straight edge. The hollow edge is crafted with evenly spaced vertical indentations, which create small air pockets between the blade and the food
- DURABLE – WÜSTHOF Cutlery is crafted to resist corrosion and dulling. This German made Kitchen Knife set Comes with a limited Lifetime Warranty. WÜSTHOF Classic Series Knives feature a full bolster and finger guard
- CENTURIES OF TRADITION – Family owned for seven generations, WÜSTHOF was founded in Solingen, Germany over 200 years ago. WÜSTHOF’s cutlery carries the Solingen name, a designation reserved for products that meet the strictest quality standards
Best for the Money: Shun Cutlery Classic Nakiri Knife
Measuring 6 ½ inches, this type of Shun Cutlery Nakiri knife is handmade in Japan. The 16-degree doubled beveled blade is made of high-quality steel that is manually sharpened and has a stunning D-shaped ebony handle made of high-quality PakkaWood. This is a durable, clean, and sharp knife, which is a superb addition to your kitchen utensils.
The Shun Nakiri Knife is very functional that makes work of fruits and vegetables by instantly dicing, slicing, and chopping them into exact portions. Made of superior VG-10 stainless steel, the Shun Nakiri Knife is less brittle and harder than other knives from Nakiri available out there. Also, they are more flexible as opposed to other regular or standard steel knives and have a Rockwell hardness grade of 60 to 61 and a dual eight-degree bevel.
This knife also features the renowned flowing Damascus steel pattern. It is integrated with an offset stainless steel bolster, made for security and ergonomic comfort. Its D-shaped handle helps keep this knife from twisting and sliding in your hand. It provides a firm grip as well as additional stability. What is more, the fused-mixed hardwood veneers integrated into the D-shaped handle provide this knife a warm and conventional look of wood with the strength and toughness of a plastic.
- This is a superb chopping and dicing knife
- It is integrated with a long handle and heavy blade
- High quality and well-balanced knife
- This knife might not be extremely sharp upon delivery however holds a superb edge when sharpened.
- This is expensive compared to other knives Nakiri mentioned
- VEGETABLE KNIFE: A traditional Japanese-style vegetable knife, the Shun Classic 6.5-inch Nakiri Knife is a favorite of professional chefs and cooking enthusiasts for preparing fruits and vegetables.
- STRAIGHT BLADE: The straight blade, edge, and spine make this Japanese knife perfect for simple push cuts. The blunt end makes it extra safe to use.
- HIGH-QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Constructed with Shun's proprietary VG-MAX cutting core and clad in 68 layers of stainless Damascus, this cooking knife is corrosion and stain resistant with a strong, razor-sharp edge.
- COMFORTABLE HANDLE: The D-shaped, ebony-finished Pakkawood handle is durable, beautiful, doesn't harbor bacteria, and comfortable to use for both left- and right-handed users.
- TRADITIONAL, ARTISAN CUTLERY: Inspired by the traditions of ancient Japan, Shun knives are handcrafted by highly skilled artisans to produce blades of unparalleled quality and beauty.
Best Cheap Nakiri Knife: J.A. Henckels International CLASSIC Christopher Kimball Edition Nakiri Knife
Christopher Kimball, a renowned chef, made this Nakiri knife. Measuring 6 ½ inches, the modern J. A Henckels International Classic Nakiri Knife is ideal for dicing, chopping as well as slicing large veggies and fruits. As the blade is sharp and slender, you are able to make exact thin and juliennes cuts.
The wide and rectangular blade provides it the feel of a chopper while having the flexibility of a professional knife. State the art J.A
Henckels Nakiri Knife is modeled on a conventional Japanese vegetable chopper and can instantly dispatch any preparation work. Made in Spain, this knife has a specialized satin finish which is reinforced and fortified by superior and high quality stainless steel from Germany.
It has a flawless transition from its blade to blade, utilizing a totally forged construction to provide you with balance and durability. You get stress-free cutting, and this is because of the ergonomic triple-riveted handled. Also, this is dishwasher safe.
- This knife has superb balance, which makes it easy and comfortable to grip
- Makes a flawless and smooth cut
- You can handle it easily, even if your hand is small
- There is no known disadvantage unless having a conventional blade from Japan is vital.
- GERMAN CRAFTSMANSHIP: Made in Spain. The Nakiri Knife is ideal for slicing, dicing, and chopping large fruits and vegetables. Each of our classic blades is made from an original, proprietary, special formula steel that has been perfected for almost 300 years.
- LASTING QUALITY: Unrivaled quality and superior resistance last for years. Precision-forged from a single piece of solid steel. SIGMAFORGE knives have an exceptionally sturdy, balanced, and flexible blade.
- RAZOR SHARP EDGE: Each of our products boast excellent edge retention. Combined with ZWILLING's signature ice-hardening technique, these FRIODUR blades are harder and sharper than competitors' products.
- EASY ON THE WRIST: Ergonomic, polypropylene handle is permanently bonded to the blade giving a seamless and gap-free grip that is comfortable and natural to hold. 1 lb, easy on the wrists.
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Dishwasher safe, hand wash recommended. Use warm water and soap, then rinse and pat dry. Easy to store in a knife block or paper sheath (not included.)
Best Gift Nakiri Knife: Yoshihiro Aoko Nakiri Japanese Vegetable Knife
State of the art Yoshihiro Aoko Nakiri Knife was created with stainless resistant steel, measured 6 ½ inches long, and made with a high-carbon steel center core. It has a superior and quality blade that holds its sharp edge for many years to come.
Both sides of the blade come with stain-resistant cladding, even if the knives will ultimately develop stains and the surface of the blade features a hammered or tsuchime pattern. This amazing design takes account of indentions that keep veggies from sticking to the blade surface by inspiring air pockets while dicing or cutting.
The handle of this knife came with Pakka Wood and was made of a high carbon steel bolster. This is efficient and fast, making it ideal for dicing and chopping due to the thin and flat edge. Also, you get a full tang, and it welds itself ergonomically to the user’s hand for flawless or seamless application.
Also, it comes with a defensive sheath made of magnolia wood which keeps the blade secured while providing it a very attractive look if you are not utilizing it. This high-quality Japanese knife is molded and sharpened to add to the kitchen out of the box immediately.
- This kind is an extremely sharp as well as good looking cutting knife
- It is integrated with an extremely fine edge
- You can easily sharpen this knife to a fine razor edge
- Blade edge can stain if you don’t oil or clean it often
- It doesn’t have a cover made of wood
- Yoshihiro- aoko blue stain resistant steel usuba Japanese vegetable knife 6.5" 160mm
- Made in Japan
- Japanese vegetable knife
Best Popular Nakiri Knife: DALSTRONG Nakiri Vegetable Knife
This knife is part of the popular Dalstrong Shogun Series X; this one is constructed with Japanese AUS-10V high quality super steel. The blade measured 6 inches and has a hammered finish that assists food in releasing précis or fine cuts. This knife comes with a straight edge and broad blade, which helps with chopping and scooping food. DALSTRONG is made in a sixty-day process utilizing superior materials and is razor-sharp and an artistic statement. Available in aesthetic tsuchime finish, which helps in reducing the level of drag and creates small air pockets which can reduce stuck-on food. It also comes with a super hard 62 plus Rockwell hardness.
This knife has scalpel-like sharpness, amazing edge retention as well as ideal balance. DALSTRONG is also rust and corrosion-resistant. The hand-polished spine boosts comfort together with the grips. This is also made to last for many years and comes with a full-tang style for the most toughness. It is easy to clean, and the tapered blade was made to lessen resistance when slicing or dicing.
The cryogenic tempering boosts its crystalline structure to strengthen and enhance its flexibility and hardness.
- This knife is a stunning knife you’ll love and enjoy holding
- This is a very solid knife that cuts and chops vegetables well
- It has an ideal fit as well as finish
- Few owners found it heavier and wider than anticipated for a Nakiri
- Some owners had mixed experiences with its blade guard
- The Ultimate Vegetable Knife: A Dalstrong culinary revolution combining outstanding and award-winning craftsmanship, cutting-edge breakthrough technology, awe-inspiring design, and the absolute best materials available. Peak performance never looked so good to you or your wallet.
- Unrivaled Performance: Ruthlessly sharp scalpel like edge is hand finished to a mirror polish at 8-12° per side using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method. Nitrogen cooled for enhanced harness, flexibility and corrosion resistance. Full tang for superb robustness and triple riveted for even more resilience. The Shogun Series exquisite hammered tsuchime finish reduces drag and minimizes stuck on food.
- Dalstrong Power: This vegetable knife features an ultra sharp AUS-10V- Vacuum Treated Japanese super steel cutting core at 62+ Rockwell hardness: extraordinary performance and edge retention. 66 layers of premium high-carbon stainless steel layers ensure exceptional strength, durability and stain resistance. Perfectly balanced. Dalstrong's stunning 'tsunami-rose' genuine Damascus layers.
- Engineered to Perfection: Ultra-premium G-10 handle is military grade with life-long durability. Hand polished, the ergonomic handle shape is engineered for superior control, agility and comfort while the blade's spine is made smooth for a natural 'pinch grip'. The 55mm blade width allows for improved knuckle clearance. Easily scoop up food onto blade.
- Dalstrong Trust: Rocksolid 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free. LIFETIME WARRANTY against defect. Renowned Dalstrong customer service. See why chef's around the world trust and love, 'The Dalstrong Difference'. Dalstrong luxury packaging. Now you are slicing with POWER. Dalstrong POWER!
Best Lightweight: Miyabi Birchwood Sg2 Nakiri Knife
This state-of-the-art Nakiri Knife has a 6 ½ “knife blade. This is lightweight, only weighs one pound, and is a superior knife that features an exceptional style. This is also integrated with stunning wavy mold with 101 layers of high quality SG2 micro carbide steel. The blade measures 1 7/8 inches wide and has a curved tip that enables you to rock this knife for about 10 percent of the length of the blade. It is also very sharp and has an extremely high Rockwell hardness, which means it’s tough and holds the edge a while.
- This is a superior knife with an exceptional style
- It’s one of the sharpest knives available
- Very lightweight
- This knife doesn’t come with a knife sheath, and it is so hard to find one which fits very well.
- The handle might be susceptible to discoloration if you don’t clean the knife carefully.
- Microwave and oven use for versatility
- Patterns won’t wash, wear or scratch off
- Break and chip resistance for carefree durability
Calphalon Katana Cutlery Nakiri Knife
This amazing knife is made utilizing a 33-layer high-quality stainless steel which provides amazing and incredible sharpness- for its blade and looks. This 7-inch knife is custom forged of a VG-1 steel core, leading to a super sharp edge. Ideal for dicing fruits and vegetables, this Nakiri Knife takes account of bolster design to utilize the right full blade method. With elegance and precision, the Calphalon Katana Cutlery utilizes a flat blade made to dice, slice, and julienne using a solid thrust forward.
With the help of this knife, you are able to slice fruits and vegetables, and it is also ideal for dicing and slicing veggies extremely thinly for making sushi. This knife also features a secure grip due to the included bolster between the handle and the blade. You get the correct full blade technique and smooth curs with the included design. The contoured, ergonomically made grip handle surely fits your hand firmly, enabling you to grip it comfortably for a long time.
- This knife has amazing weight as well as a superb fit
- Cuts effortlessly
- Super sharp as well as well-balanced
- Some users found it susceptible to corrosion and rust
- Owners discovered the steel is brittle
- Calphalon katana cutlery 7-inch nakiri knife
- Features: knife construction: VG-1 Japanese steel for exceptional sharpness and ultimate edge retention; Key performance: exceptional sharpness, rigidity and edge retention; hand wash
- Blade: Clad with 33 stainless steel layers for distinctive style, exceptional rigidity and rust-resistance; Traditional blade shapes enhanced for ease of use and precision
- Bolster: Integrated bolster design provides secure, comfortable grip; Offers increased control; Encourages proper technique; Facilitates full blade involvement for smooth, efficient slicing
- Handles: Patented, ergonomic polyresin, contoured for comfort and balanced for control and precision; Will not chip, crack or peel
Yoshihiro Vegetable Chef Knife
State-of-the-art Yoshihiro Vegetable Chef Knife measures 6.3 inches in the blade and comes with 46 layers of high-quality stainless steel for a distinctive look as well as high performance. It is also equipped with Shitan Rosewood Handle as well as a Saya Cover.
Made in the practice of Damascus, this Nakiri Knife comes with a VG-10 Cores and combines performance, value as well as beauty. This knife has obtained a high Rockwell hardness rating. Having a double edge blade, the Yoshihiro is ideal for chopping veggies and prepping greens due to its flat cutting edge.
Going beyond the hardness rating of usual knives made of stainless steel, this one comes with a sharper and thinner blade that cuts accurately and precisely through any ingredient or vegetable. This is a high-resistant knife that is handmade and balanced for amazing comfort. Made of Damascus steel, this provides additional toughness and durability, which eliminates food sticking and friction.
This is also integrated with a defensive sheath made of wood, also known as Saya. Saya is made of Magnolia, which increases the looks of the knife.
- It has a sturdy and tough feel
- Feels good in the hand when you’re chopping
- An amazing knife that dices and slices food extremely thin
- Comes with superb saya or sheath
- Rough wood handle
- Thicker at the spine
- Forged and hammered with 46 layers of steel in the Damascus tradition with a VG-10 Core, the VG-10 Hammered Damascus Series has been a perennial best seller, combining performance, beauty, and extraordinary value.
- One of the most popular knives that a cook can have today is a Japanese Vegetable knife known as a Nakiri knife. The Nakiri is a Japanese double edged knife with a flat cutting edge. The flatness allows for the whole length of the knife to come in contact with the cutting board with each stroke. This is particularly helpful when chopping vegetables since it eliminates those imperfect cuts in which ingredients are hanging by a string.
- Reminiscent of a small cleaver, this knife is cherished for its ability to chop through root vegetables to thinly slicing delicate tomatoes. From prepping greens for a salad to chopping vegetables for a main dish, the simplest of tasks are elevated with a handcrafted knife that is as beautiful as it is functional.
- Proudly made in Japan. This knife is complimented with a traditional Japanese Wa-style handcrafted Octagonal Handle that is lightweight and ergonomically welds to the hand for seamless use. A protective wooden sheath called a Saya is included, which protects the knife and adds to its appearance when not in use. The hammered texture of the blade eliminates friction and keeps food from sticking to the blade.
- Traditional Japanese knife making values a sharp edge, which requires attention and care. Sharpening and honing should be done with only water whetstones. Hand wash and dry only, and do so immediately if working with acidic ingredients. Do not use on objects such as bones, nutshells, and frozen foods.
What is a Nakiri Knife?
What exactly is a Nakiri knife? And where can you get a superb Nakiri knife? A Nakiri knife is not your ordinary kitchen knife, and it is considered a Japanese vegetable knife. Even if a chef knife such as the Santoku blade has acuminated tip, the standard Nakiri knife features a state-of-the-art and unique shape blade.
It has a massive, slender as well as level rectangular blade. Usually, you are able to utilize a straight blade common on a Nakiri knife to dice, mince as well as chop veggies. On the other hand, you are not able to utilize this knife for precise chopping jobs because it does not have an acuminated tip compared to other types of knives out there.
On the other hand, the rectangular blade and level edge are able to cut any type of veggies on the chopping board efficiently and fast. Perhaps, there is a question in your mind like, “Is the Nakiri knife indispensable? Of course, the answer is yes if you prepare veggies on a regular basis.
Considerations When Buying a Nakiri Knife
Even if this knife is popular for the sharp dicing and chopping actions, Nakiri Knife is not as renowned as the Santoku Knife.
With the same weight and qualities, both are common Japanese kitchens and are utilized for slicing, mincing as well as dicing veggies. Having a straight blade, this knife is able to dice and chop food evenly and cleanly. Santoku Knives come with curved blades, which also make them ideal for cutting and slicing meat. The main disparity between the two brands lies in the shapes of the blade.
If you are searching for a knife for many diverse cutting jobs, the Santoku Knives are the perfect option because of the curved blade shape and pointed edge. But, if you want skinny and thin slices of veggies, the Nakiri Knives are the better option because of the flat blade.
When picking a knife, the most vital consideration is the material the blade is made of. Even if the latest knives are made of stainless steel, always remember that not all steel is the same. You’ll find two kinds when picking knives from Japan, and each differs with the level of carbon in it. The level of carbon is what decides the quality of the knife.
The quality of the handle is another vital consideration. It would help if you had a high-quality knife that does well and is also easy and comfortable to handle. Handles with amazing ergonomic styles that fit into the hand’s curves are simpler to hold for an extended period of time.
You might have noticed that veggies often stick to the blade if you slice them. Knives from Nakiri often come with a hammered finish that is also known as tsuchime. This hand-hammered finish reduces drag if you cut or slice, making food less chance of sticking to the blade.
A blade with a Granton edge tends that the veggies will stick to the blade’s surface or side. This kind of finish makes air pockets if you slice or chop food enabling food to release fast from the sides.
The sharpness and durability of a Nakiri knife stand out from the rest. Nakiri Knife has a mid-sized blade as opposed to other knives out there. Usually, five inches is the minimum length that makes chopping easy, safe, and comfortable.
This is measured with the use of the Rockwell scale. This shows a dimensionless number in which a high score means hard stainless steel.
Usually, kitchen knives come in between 53 to 55 on the lower end and 64 to 65 for high quality or very expensive blades. You will find a lot of Nakiri Knives in the 60s.
This is one of the most popular perks of Nakiri Knives. Again, even if it is identical in so many ways to other popular knives, most especially USUBA, Nakiri Knives are easier to sharpen as well as very comfortable to hold and use for casual preparations. What is more, they are not delicate to use; nothing is worse than purchasing a premium blade to crack or chip it.
The Perks of Nakiri Knives: What Are They?
Nakiri Knives offers many benefits, such as:
- Thin and Even Slices: Nakiri Knife has a flat blade; thus, you can make thin, even slices that are like pieces of paper. This knife is also perfect if you want a ribbon of veggies for your dish.
- Effortless Chopping: There is no need to rock its blade as you usually do with other kinds of knives out there. Having a straight edge, this knife will slice or chop straight through. A chopping motion is able to cut any vegetable.
- Clean Cuts: You get clean and precise cuts with a flat edge on its blade. Worry no more about tiny threads if you cut garlic or onions with this knife since every cut is full and clean.
- Blade Length: Usually, this knife comes with a 5 to 7 blade, which is the best length to chop almost any veggie.
- Type of Delicate Veggies: If you chop delicate veggies, there is no need to be concerned with squishing or damaging veggies if you chop them with this knife.
A Nakiri Knife is considered one of Japan’s most common kitchen knives. It is versatile, user-friendly, and adequately big to handle any task in your kitchen. Therefore, if you’re searching for a new kitchen knife to put into your collection, this knife may be the best one for you.
This is easy to use and very versatile. This knife is also inexpensive that is extremely attractive for those who are simply getting started with cooking.